Tuesday, September 28, 2010

In balance of good and evil

I love Charice's voice. I do. And I like her on Glee. That is why it was such a buzz here in the Philippines that our very own petite girl was casted on the hit TV show. But on the hindsight I must balance adulation and criticism as part of being a good viewer. Good voice doesn't translate to being a good actress as Charice also demonstrated in her pilot appearance on the show. Let me give you an example.

If you were confronted by a serious and commanding presence would you smile or back-off a little? In their restroom scene, Lea Michele confronts Sunshine Corazon (Charice's character) in an intimidating manner, and instead of being annoyed Sunshine smiles throughout the "Telephone" sequence. Really awkward.

One more thing that bothers me is Charice's hand gestures in her audition piece which is very reminiscent of her other famous video "Pyramid". It's eerie that the performances shown in the music vid and the audiotion piece is the same. I hope Charice does a little more creativity the next time. I'm Filipino and I don't want to be biased to my "kababayan" (compatriot), and I only point this out as means of improvement. Having said that I wish her all the well.

Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment