Sunday, December 23, 2012

Welcome to a new journey! (The hobbit: unexpected journey review)


First up I don't know if what I saw was the much debated 48 fps film or the regular 24 fps. All I know is it was in 3D (superb job as I should say). I was with my sis and we loaded up on the movie house, hotdogs, popcorn and some soda (yeah that's how you really enjoy a show). We were quite early so we had a preview of upcoming films in 3D (Startrek should be worth watching for next year) but that's for another story.

Our journey begins as Peter Jackson usually does, a foreshadowing of events that has transpired in the past mixing it up with the present a bit (a formula he seem to have perfected in the first trilogy he had, well we know that the hobbit will be in 3 part don't we? If not then sorry for spoiler). It was also great that Frodo and Gollum would comeback as to not alienate the LOTR fans from this series (Which is quite funny because those clueless some say the Hobbit is a rip off from LOTR, well quite the contrary this is the prequel to LOTR, I hope they also do the Sylmarillion and the other middle earth books there are still a number ofgreat materials to work from mr. Jackson!)

Mind you I have no idea about the story to begin with. I have the Hobbit book but I ended up reading 2 chapters, have been busy painting recently that I couldn't really finish it, So I have no inkling really if it was faithful to the book or Peter Jackson took liberties in portraying the story on film.

On 3D, splendid job you can almost feel, and smell the scenery, the trees, the lush greens of new Zealand. The casting is superb, Ian McKellen's quirkiness that defined him as Gandalf is back it's as if Lord of the Rings never ended before. The pacing is much more gentle now, no awkward cuts. I think in general elongating the film making it into a 3-part series does justice to JRR Tolkien's vivid description in the book (well I did read some chapters as I stated right?). Actually in my experience there is not a dull moment in the film, it was action, comedy, adventure and bravery something that defined the LOTR films. I'm so looking forward to the next installment.

I only hope this journey will again be as satisfying as the LOTR films, and it seems to me Smaug would be a big part of the next installment. Now who is Smaug? For those who didn't read the book see the film, sit back and enjoy .

No comments:

Post a Comment