Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Painting is relaxation

It has been years (2004 to be exact) since when I first held a brush and painted. Actually the last was in college, a requirement for graduation. Painting then for me is not an art but a piece of obstacle that I need to accomplish in order to finish my studies (if you read my blog earlier you would have known I was enrolled as a Fine Arts Student). fast forward to October 2009, I had this urge to hold a brush once again, but was adamant of what I could produce... So I re-tested my skills with the brush.

I bought my first canvass, the first time since when, and started painting. This was the first piece:

artwork size is 14"x 18".

I was happy I could still nail it and kind of re-learned new techniques, and I felt learning should not stop there so I bought another clean canvass and painted a day later I was able to come up with this:

"youthnovoice" 12" x 18" detail


I was thinking of the upcoming elections when I painted this, and I thought I make to remind the adults to go out and vote, since their children can't speak for themselves and for certain issues, Their parents should address this incapacity and let themselves be the voice of the youth. Let the elections not be of popularity but of true service and genuine concern for our country. That is the message I wanted to convey.

I was becoming enthusiastic with the results that I tried another piece which I titled "under pressure":

Size is 12"x 16"


My concept for this artwork is easy. Remembering my office days, there was often time you really feel intense pressure to perform and perform well, what better way to represent it on paint than under water? So I painted a man contemplating and picturing himself under the intense pressure of under water diving... There very simple. :D

Painting for me nowadays has been a source of self-expression (very much blogging) through paint I hope to convey some of my messages and thoughts, plus it's very relaxing (despite the strong smell of linseed oil). I know I still have a long way to go to perfect this craft but as the old saying go practice makes perfect.

I wish to share more artworks in the future and I know I won't be running out of idea... Until then I'll be keeping you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment